- As Chief Technical Officer of Taos Mountain, I was responsible for providing strategic technical guidance for the company, including identification of emerging market trends both in the organization's areas of expertise as well as those of our existing and potential customer base. I worked closely with the owners, CEO, COO, and CFO to help them understand the rapidly-evolving landscape of systems administration and the underlying technologies driving the field, as well as providing guidance and data regarding the recent, current, and possible future state of the consultants with respect to performance, skill development, and industry trends. I provided leadership, guidance, and mentorship to an in-house team of 6 senior techincal consultants and 8 technical sales staff, developing, implementing, and evolving the company's technical interview process and consultant support process as well as sales strategy. I served as evangelist for the company to the wider professional systems administrator community, liasing with the USENIX and SAGE professional organizations. I led development of the industry's first Unix systems administrator certification through SAGE, and was a key participant in the development of the Linux Professional Institute's Linux Systems Administrator certification, which became the CompTIA Linux+ certifcation. I worked with the professional community to establish and evolve industry standards and best practices for systems administration, many of which I spearheaded within Taos Mountain. I mentored individual systems administrators both one-on-one, and as part of a leadership development program I established during my tenure at the company.
- As Security Champion and Cybersecurity Subject Matter Expert for BlueCross BlueShield South Carolina, I provide mentorship, guidance, and leadership for an 18-person Cybersecurity Operations Team; I work both within the Information Systems organization and with other organizations in the Enterprise to evangelize cybersecurity and to help management, project leadership, technical staff understand the business value of recognizing and addressing risk, and incorporating operational cybersecurity principles into their workflow and process. I bring similar insight and value to senior management for the Enterprise.
- As a Network Security Analyst for CERT, I provided subject matter expertise to government departments and agencies, such as the Department of Defense, the Department of Homeland Security, the Defense Information Systems Agency, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and various agencies in the Intelligence Community. I also worked independently within CERT to develop and lead classified research programs, often leading and coordinating work across multidisciplinary teams, both local and remote. I exhibited public professional leadership through presentations of unclassified research at professional conferences.
BlueCross BlueShield South Carolina
Subject Matter Expert Mar 2017 - Present
- Acts as cybersecurity champion for the enterprise
- Provide mentorship, guidance, and leadership for 18-person Cybersecurity Operations team
key performance indicators,
operational improvementswith board and senior management
Collaborateswith key teams throughout organization to ensure organizational security needs are being addressed and that
best practicesare adhered to
- Develops operational cybersecurity
playbooksfor security event
- Develops and maintains cybersecurity
threat intelligencegathering, and incident response
- Designs, deploys, and maintains
Cyber Threat Analysis Centercapabilities (see MITRE's “Ten Strategies of a World-Class Cybersecurity Operations Center”)
- Develops cybersecurity
- Performs advanced
analysis, and dissemination
- Develops and deploys
advanced cybersecurity analytics
deep webhunting techniques and
automated monitoring and alerting
- Tools include
Software Engineering Institute
Carnegie Mellon University
Network Security Analyst Jan 2015 - Mar 2017
Where I work is not a CERT, it is THE CERT. To understand our mission, please see this page.
- Explores innovative new ways to bring to bear
network flowmetadata, raw
machine learning, and various
enrichmenttechniques to provide government departments and agencies with deeper, more robust, timely, and
actionable network intelligence.
- Designs and employs unique
network visualizationtechniques to provide real-time or retrospective insight into
- Works in cooperation with various government agencies (DHS, DISA, DoD, USSS, etc.) to understand, coordinate, and satisfy sponsor needs
- Architects and employs
big dataanalytics (
Hadoop, etc.) to quickly mine potential
threat datato facilitate and enhance threat hunt and
subject-matter expertise (SME)in consultative/advisory roles across functional groups within the organization and to government departments and agencies
- Works to understand
Computer Network Defense (CND),
Computer Network Exploitation (CNE), and
Computer Network Attack (CNA)in a holistic manner, applying lessons from each across the spectrum of
- Provides classroom instruction on a variety of topics (e.g.,
Cyber Kill Chain,
cryptography, etc.) to various government departments and agencies
- Gives back to the community through conference presentations, white papers, etc.
Jan 2014 - Jan 2015
- One-year sabbatical to spend more time with family and explore personal interests
Senior QA Engineer Aug 2011 - Jan 2014
- Provide guidance and leadership to organization regarding performance and security testing of DNS products
- Instrumental in winning company's largest multimillion dollar ISP sale, creating test and presentation strategy
IP Address Management(
DDI) products using tools such as
Kali Linux, and various
- Ensured product security posture by developing
automated security regression testsin
- Promoted balance between product security and performance by designing efficient
Performance Engineer May 2006 - July 2011
- Work as expert in product performance testing
- Analyzed product traffic via
Wiresharkto uncover product weaknesses and worked with developers to devise
- Mined terabytes of packet traffic for
- Collaborated with developers to develop novel product features and attack
countermeasureswithout sacrificing product performance
Vulnerability Assessor Jan 2006 - May 2006
- Ensured client security through
vulnerability assessmentsusing commercial off-the-shelf tools such as
- Performed client
log analysisto identify suspicious and anomalous behavior
- Evaluated client attack surfaces and assessed client security
- Recommended vulnerability remediations and improvements to customer security architecture based on reported findings
Developer, Security group Jul 2004 - Jan 2006
- Integrated third-party
antivirussolutions into proprietary, legacy
C/C++API on top of
- Collaborated on design and development of new security features, including
Reverse-engineeredcertain closed APIs via
Senior Unix Systems Administrator Jun 2002 - Jul 2004
- Provided architecture, installation, configuration, development, and field maintenance for prior, current, and forthcoming SETI observation systems.
- Provided architecture, installation, configuration, development, and maintenance for team of over 20 scientists and engineers in office.
- Acted as postmaster for SETI Institute, including design, implementation, and deployment of organization-wide antispam and antivirus solutions.
- Rearchitected Institute-wide data retention strategy, assisted in development of data integrity policy.
- Rearchitected data retention strategy for observation system, defined data integrity policy.
- Implemented and managed remote access solution for Institute (150 employees).
- Assisted in design, deployment, and maintenance of Institute network and security infrastructure.
- Assisted in design, deployment, and maintenance of observation system network and security infrastructure.
- Developed IT policy and procedures for observation system relocation ($5mil-$10mil of equipment, shipped internationally, multiple times per year).
- Assisted in Institute facilities relocation, including design and deployment of new Institute firewall solution.
- Provided kernel-level support to observation system developers.
Chief Technical Officer Sep 1998 - Mar 2002
- Reporting to CEO, predicted market share for new technologies as a basis to direct corporate strategy.
- Provided leadership and guidance for in-house and field technical consultant teams as well as technical sales team.
- Led effort to redesign technical interview process
- Led effort to redesign/refocus internal technical training programs and resources.
- Drove executive-level tactical and strategic issues including initiatives to identify and productize key services for targeted markets; design and growth of high-end service products; identification and initiation of partnerships and strategic alliances; identification and development of industry Best Current Practices.
- Focused product development planning for enterprise-scale datacenter migrations and targeted infrastructure assessments to increase mindshare, client contact, placement, and revenue over a 6-month period.
- Initiated and solidified key long-term partnership opportunities including service alliances with industry leading security service providers and product partnerships with best-of-breed infrastructure monitoring vendors
- Implemented concise, corporate-wide career tracking plan within field of systems administration, focusing on both technical and soft skills
- Evangelized Taos to larger sysadmin community through professional relationships as board member for the SAGE Certification effort, and through speaking engagements at various professional gatherings, including the USENIX/SAGE LISA conference, the RubiCon security conference, and SVLUG.
- Provided mentorship, guidance, and leadership for over 700 systems administrators.
Commonwealth Edison (via IBM Global Services)
Unix Systems Administrator May 1997 - July 1998
- Provided general development and production Unix support (7/24/365) on over 200 SunOS and Solaris servers, both in-office and field-deployed, including data collection servers critical to the collection of all metered billing data for northern Illinois, and all systems used for split-second energy trades.
- Postmaster for company, providing e-mail solutions and management for a system handling more than 10 gigabytes (GB) of mail per week in a heterogeneous mail environment (Lotus Notes, cc:mail, Microsoft Exchange, and UNIX sendmail)
- Managed SecurID remote-access solution for over 5,000 remote users.
- Responsible for the maintenance of corporate DNS and NIS name server solutions, serving over 10,000 hosts.
- Played key role in acquisition, design, and deployment of multiple Sun E10000 servers for corporate IT consolidation project (several of the first Sun E10000 servers deployed by Sun).
- Rearchitected corporate backup solution to increase efficiency and lower cost of maintenance.
- Designed and maintained one-terabyte (TB) database architecture using a Sun Ultra Enterprise 4000 server and dual fiber-channel attached arrays.
- DoD Top Secret/SCI (Current)
- DHS Top Secret Suitability (Current)
- DoD 8570/8140 IAT Level 3 Certified
- DoD 8570/8140 IAM Level 2 Certified
- DoD 8570/8140 IAM Level 3 Certified
- DoD 8570/8140 IASAE Level 1 Certified
- DoD 8570/8140 IASAE Level 2 Certified
University of Chicago, M.A. and A.B.D. Experimental Cognitive Psychology
- Created a connectionist, simulated-annealing model of expository and narrative text comprehension. Coursework included graduate-level statistics, connectionist modelling, robotics.
University of Memphis, B.S. Experimental Cognitive Psychology
- minors: mathematics, computer science, philosophy
Honors and Awards
- Invited researcher at the DEUTSCHE FORSCHUNGZENTRUM FÜR KÜNSTLICHE INTELLIGENZ GMBH (German Institute for Artificial Intelligence)
- Advisor, Linux Professional Institute (LPI) Certification (this became the CompTIA Linux+ certification)
- Chair, SAGE Certification Ethics subcommittee
- Director and Vice President, SAGE Certification
- Founder and Leader, GOSSiP Project
- Invited keynote speaker, USENIX LISA Conference
- Founder, ISSA Silicon Valley Chapter
- Langston, Mark C. (2014). The Accidental Altruist: Inferring Altruism from an Extraterrestrial Signal. In Vakoch, D. A. (Ed.), Extraterrestrial Altruism: Evolution and Ethics in the Cosmos (pp. 131-140). New York, NY: Springer.
- Langston, Mark C. (2003). Documentation Writing for Systems Administrators. Berkeley, CA: USENIX Association.
- Langston, Mark C., Trabasso, T., and Magliano, J. P. (1999). A Connectionist Model of Narrative Comprehension. In Ram, A. & Moorman, K. (Eds.), Understanding Language Understanding: Computational Models of Reading (pp. 181-226). Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.